LeRoy in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of the First School
the first school
west of the Genesee River.
Built in 1801.
The first teacher was
Miss Luseba Scott.
Erected by Genesee County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1801.
Location. 42° 58.813′ N, 77° 57.576′ W. Marker is in LeRoy, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on East Main Road (New York State Route 5 at milepost 9.9), ¼ mile east of Circular Hill Road (County Route 25A), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7895 East Main Road, Le Roy NY 14482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. D.W. Airport (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ganson Tavern (approx. 0.6 miles away); Machpelah Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Jell-O Company (approx. 1.3 miles away); The LeRoy House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Le Roy House (approx. 1.3 miles away); To Honor (approx. 1.3 miles away); Town of LeRoy (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LeRoy.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.