Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
C. L. Dahler House
Two small houses shared this choice corner location in 1866, but after 1875, photographs reveal the unmistakable steeply pitched roof and central gable of this splendid Gothic Revival style residence. Expansion and remodeling during the 1890s added the bay windows, rear gable, and decorative bargeboards that now ornament the front façade. Pioneer businessman Charles L. Dahler owned the home in the 1880s, followed by banker Thomas Duncan in 1897, and Missouri Mining Company superintendent John Henry Pankey in 1917. Although Pankey, his wife Catherine, and their three sons sometimes lived on site at the mines, they always considered this spacious and appealing residence their true home. The Pankey family retained ownership until 1980, when the familiar landmark became home to the law firm of attorney Chester Lloyd Jones and, more recently, the Madison County Title Co.
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District • Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior • In cooperation with the Montana Historical Society
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Montana National Register Sign Program series list.
Location. 45° 17.62′ N, 111° 56.623′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on East Wallace Street (State Highway 287) east of South Broadway Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is a large metal plaque mounted waist-high, on the rock retaining wall, beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the C. L. Dahler house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East Wallace Street, Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Virginia City National Historic Landmark District (within shouting distance of this marker); Allen and Millard Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hangman’s Building (about 400 feet away); Creighton Stone Block (about 400 feet away); Spacious Victorian Luxury (about 500 feet away); The Remarkable Sarah Bickford (about 500 feet away); Virginia City (about 500 feet away); Belgium, Paris, New York, St. Louis, Virginia City (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Regarding C. L. Dahler House.
Also see . . . Hussey, Dahler and Company, 1866-1876.
Charles L. Dahler was born near Dusseldorf, Prussia, in 1835. In 1839 the family emigrated to the United States, settling in Missouri. In 1858, Dahler joined the Colorado gold rush, arriving in Denver by wagon train. While there he became associated with Warren Hussey, and eventually became a partner in his Salt Lake City bank. In 1866 Dahler moved to Virginia City, Montana Territory to manage the partnership's Montana branches. After the partnership dissolved he managed the Virginia City bank on his own. After selling the bank in 1879, Charles Dahler worked for the Peoples National Bank in Helena. In 1910 he moved to Silver Star, Montana, where he invested in several prosperous mines including the Iron Rod. He died April 20, 1920. (Submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.