Fitzgerald in Ben Hill County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church Bell
Fitzgerald was settled during the summer of 1895 by 2,700 Union Veterans and many Georgians. The First Baptist Church was constituted by 34 charter members on December 15, 1895. The members first met in a furniture store and built their first church, a 32 by 60 feet perpendicular slab building constructed during the winter of 1896-97. In 1898 the church, now boasting 300 members, built a new frame building with a tower for the prized bell. In 1912 the church laid a cornerstone for a handsome brick building where the church grew and prospered until 1972, when the church moved into this complex. President Jimmy Carter, then Governor, rededicated the bell in 1974.
This marker dedicated during
Erected by First Baptist Church (of Fitzgerald, Georgia).
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #39 James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr., and the Historic Bells series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is May 21, 1853.
Location. 31° 42.614′ N, 83° 15.811′ W. Marker is in Fitzgerald, Georgia, in Ben Hill County. Marker is at the intersection of Merrimac Drive and Jessamine Street, on the left when traveling south on Merrimac Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 South Merrimac Drive, Fitzgerald GA 31750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fitzgerald Rotary Club (approx. 0.6 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 - 1902 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gen. Bush's Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fitzgerald (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Portable Confinement Cage (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ben Hill County (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Grateful Appreciation of The Boys of Ben Hill Co. (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fitzgerald.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on February 14, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.