Algiers in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Algiers Point evolved from the plantation of Barthelemy Duverjé. The Duverjé home was built c. 1812-16, and served as the Algiers Courthouse from 1866. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of Algiers in 1895 and replaced by the current structure in 1896.
Erected by www.algiershistoricalsociety.org.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 57.257′ N, 90° 3.273′ W. Marker is in Algiers, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker can be reached from Morgan Street, on the right when traveling north. Located on top of levee in front of Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 Morgan Street, New Orleans LA 70114, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Algiers' Dry Docks (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire of Algiers, 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); Transatlantic Slave Trade to Louisiana (within shouting distance of this marker); Algiers Courthouse Hardy Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Enslaved Africans (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis D. Armstrong (about 700 feet away); Historic Algiers (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Algiers.
More about this marker. Marker is located on top of levee, along the Mississippi River Trail, a bicycle and walking path on top the levee.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 1,942 times since then and 926 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2018.