Junction City in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
“The Struggle Has Ended”
The Danish Cemetery
The very first Danes organized a congregation affiliated with the Danish Lutheran church in America.
The congregation then chose a location on the corner of Dane Lane and Deal Street for the church cemetery, but they quickly discovered that a floodplain was a poor place for a cemetery. In 1903 the congregation purchased this hilltop to be its cemetery. It was called and still is The Danish Cemetery.
The settlement ultimately counted well over a hundred Danish families. It flourished for over over half a century and still makes a significant contribution to the community.
Æret være deres minde.
Honored be their memory.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction City OR 97448, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smithfield (approx. 3.9 miles away); West Side Old Territorial Road (approx. 4 miles away); Lee House (approx. 4½ miles away); Locomotive 418 (approx. 4½ miles away); Junction City’s First Jail (approx. 4½ miles away); Junction City — A Brief History (approx. 4½ miles away); Wilhelm Mill Water Wheel (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Belknap Settlement (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction City.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.