Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Georgia played all its home games on this field until 1911 when a new field was constructed off Lumpkin Street. The old grounds were thereafter used for informal intramural games and as a drill field for the R.O.T.C. trainees.
The original field, later converted into a parking lot, was named in honor of Dr. Charles H. Herty, professor of chemistry at the University and sports enthusiast. He introduced football to the college boys and was unofficial coach and trainer of the early teams. Herty later earned fame as a scientist in the development of the turpentine and pine pulpwood industry.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1936.
Location. 33° 57.373′ N, 83° 22.548′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on Herty Drive south of Broad Street (U.S. 78), on the right when traveling south. The marker is located on Herty Field, in front of Moore College. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Toombs Oak (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Red and Black (about 300 feet away); First Garden Club (about 400 feet away); Site of First Classes (about 400 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 400 feet away); Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (about 400 feet away); University of Georgia (about 500 feet away); Old College (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,633 times since then and 7 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 23, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?