Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
S. R. Buford & Company
Rounded arches and a tall false front characterize Virginia City's first brick building, built by clothing merchant E. J. Walter in 1875. It is said that construction using locally produced bricks was accomplished as a test before the building of the Madison County Courthouse. Backed by banker Henry Elling, Simeon R. Buford opened the region's largest grocery store here in 1878. Buford's was the supply point for most of southwestern Montana, including the infant "Butte City." In later years Butte's huge warehouses would, in turn, supply Buford's own business. Most of the merchandise displayed, including the canned goods, came from Buford's inventory.
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In cooperation with the Montana Historical Society
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & CommerceMontana National Register Sign Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 45° 17.583′ N, 111° 56.843′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is on West Wallace Street (State Highway 287) west of Jackson Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just to the right of the front door. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 314 West Wallace Street, Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Buford Block (here, next to this marker); S.L. Simpson Building (a few steps from this marker); E. L. Smith Store (a few steps from this marker); Ten Pin Alley Store (a few steps from this marker); Frank Prasch Blacksmith Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Masonic Meetings (within shouting distance of this marker); Elephant Auction House (within shouting distance of this marker); Blue Front Variety Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Buford Block
Also see . . . Buford Store.
E.J. Walter, a clothing merchant, built this first brick building in Virginia City during the summer of 1875 on the site (Submitted on May 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 235 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.