Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Starr in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Dean / Dean's Station

 
 
Dean / Dean's Station Marker - Dean Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 23, 2008
1. Dean / Dean's Station Marker - Dean Side
Inscription.  
Dean
Dean is named for the Dean family, whose cemetery is located about a mile west. Samuel Dean came to South Carolina from Maryland in 1786 and settled here in the Mountain Creek area along with the Cummins and James families. Dean and his wife Gwendolyn James raised a large family and his descendants have lived here for more than two hundred years.

Dean's Station
A depot was built at Dean in 1886 by the Savannah Valley Railroad (later the Charleston and Western Carolina Railroad). Described by the Anderson Intelligencer in 1896 as "a very pretty little town,' this rural community included the depot, a post office, several stores, a gristmill and saw mill, a blacksmith shop, a school, churches, and several residences.
 
Erected 2002 by Anderson County Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-33.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location. 34° 24.017′ N, 82° 41.267′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Starr, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on SC Highway 81, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located at the intersection of SC Highway 81 and Fred Dean Road. It is near the southern entrance to the gas station that sits at the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Starr SC 29684, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flat Rock Cemetery Veterans Monument (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Original Back Door Step (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mountain Creek Baptist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Good Hope Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); Orr Mill Cemetery (approx. 6˝ miles away); Westview Cemetery World War Casualties Memorial (approx. 6˝ miles away); Generostee A.R.P. Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); New Silver Brook Veterans Monument (approx. 6.7 miles away); Iva (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
Dean / Dean's Station Marker - Dean's Station Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Scott, September 23, 2008
2. Dean / Dean's Station Marker - Dean's Station Side
Dean / Dean's Station Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Stanley and Terrie Howard, August 23, 2009
3. Dean / Dean's Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,884 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 23, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3. submitted on August 23, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11712

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024