Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Robert McAlpin Williamson
Hero of Colonial Struggle at Anahuac
Settled in Texas in 1827 to practice law. Here at Fort Anahuac in 1832, he made an heroic stand against the commandant, Juan Davis Bradburn, who had jailed his client and friend, Patrick C. Jack, and William Barret Travis (later Alamo commander). Bradburn and associates made a false agreement to exchange Jack and Travis for Mexican soldiers captured earlier by Williamson's men. Following a confrontation, Bradburn at last gave up the Texans, resigned his command, and left Fort Anahuac. But after this betrayal, Williamson took up cause of Texas independence, fighting with words and then with arms at Battle of San Jacinto.
A district judge and a justice of first Supreme Court of the Republic (1836-39), he also served as a lawmaker, 5th through 9th Congresses (1840-45). In a noted episode, a ruffian is said to have drawn a Bowie knife, saying, "This is the law," but Judge Williamson covered it with his pistol, declaring, "This is the
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9140.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Texas Independence. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 29° 45.345′ N, 94° 41.276′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of Unnamed roads within the park and Unnamed roads within the park, on the right when traveling west on Unnamed roads within the park. Marker is located within Fort Anahuac Park on the west side of the park near the boat ramp. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1704 South Main Street, Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Anahuac (here, next to this marker); William Barret Travis (a few steps from this marker); An Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Juan Davis Bradburn (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (within shouting distance of this marker); Chambers County Courthouse (approx. one mile away); The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Chambersea (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
More about this marker. Incise on the base: Erected by Chambers County Historical Survey Committee Guy C. Jackson III, Chairman
Also see . . . Williamson, Robert McAlpin - The Handbook of Texas Online . Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.