Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Orange Leader
Tracing its origins to 1875, this newspaper has served Orange for over a century. It began as "The Orange Weekly Tribune" operated by A. P. Harris, general mercantile merchant. Through subsequent owners and mergers with other newspapers, the masthead underwent several name changes, including "The Orange Leader," "The Orange Leader and Weekly Tribune," "The Orange Daily Tribune," "The Citizen-Record Consolidated," and "The Orange Leader" again. Over the years the newspaper has kept the community informed on matters of local, state, national, and international concern.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986. (Marker Number 11507.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 5.465′ N, 93° 43.858′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Front Street near Second Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (here, next to this marker); John Harmon (here, next to this marker); Old Niblett's Bluff, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); Site Of End Of The Line Station (here, next to this marker); The Sawmill Industry in Orange County (here, next to this marker); Atakapan Indians of Orange County (here, next to this marker); Hugh Ochiltree (a few steps from this marker); George Alexander Pattillo (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located in the Ochiltree Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 221 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2018.