Corvallis in Benton County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Home of Fred J. Porter
Corvallis City Engineer From 1909 to 1949
In the winter of 1845, Mulkey filed a land claim for 640 acres along Oak Creek, on the north side of Baldy Mountain. This was only a few months after Joseph Conant Avery, the first known settler, filed his land claim at the confluence of the Willamette and Mary's Rivers. Both men were busy constructing log cabins during the winter and spring of 1846. When Mulkey's cabin was finished, he returned to Missouri to bring out his wife and seven children. In October of 1847, Mulkey, captain of his wagon train, brought his wagons through to the Whitman Mission near present day Walla Walla, Washington. Here, Mulkey's people rested before proceeding to the Willamette Valley. Just a month later, on November 29, 1847, the Whitman family and their guests at the mission were killed in an Indian attack.
This house was built in 1887 by Samuel T. Jefferys, a lawyer and Benton County's Representative to the Oregon Legislature. When Jeffreys decided to move to Alaska, his home was sold to Flora and Johnson Mulkey Porter. Fred Porter moved into his house with his
Fred Porter did not live here only during his childhood; he later returned to this house with his wife, Ida Eberting Porter, and the first of their two sons. During their tenure, the automobile ramp to the basement at the southwest corner of the house was built. Fred Porter was an early auto enthusiast. Mrs. Porter recalls with delight the red Buick which Fred drove while he was courting her in 1917.
During his forty years as Corvallis City Engineer, Fred Porter saw the city grow from a population of 4,552 to 16,207. Public transportation changed from riverboats and trains to autos and trucks. Paved streets, water supply, and sewerage disposal became expected city services. Porter's work as city engineer was vital to the expansion of this city. He was an unassuming person who avoided publicity, but his professional expertise was a basic ingredient for the orderly development of Corvallis.
Erected 1982 by Madison Avenue Task Force.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 33.894′ N, 123° 16.011′ W. Marker is in Corvallis, Oregon, in Benton County. Marker is at the intersection of SW Madison Ave and SW 8th St, on the right when traveling west on SW Madison Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 142 SW 8th St, Corvallis OR 97333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Corvallis Arts Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Madison Avenue (about 300 feet away); Elementary Schools (about 400 feet away); Site of Corvallis Public Schools (about 400 feet away); The Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Incubator House & Poultry Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Whiteside Theatre (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corvallis.
Also see . . . Historical Walking Tour of Corvallis. (Submitted on May 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.