Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Today's downtown Pascagoula used to be the town of Scranton, Mississippi, until the two towns merged in 1912. The early history of the area was marked by two fires in 1921 that leveled the downtown area.
A new fire hall was built in 1925 with three main areas. The eastern side of the first floor housed the fire engine and an area for the firemen. The western side of the building was city hall, which included the city clerk's office, a private office for the Mayor and the city court room. City hall even included a built-in vault for city records. The second floor was dedicated to public use and was used as a municipal hall and meetings of the fire company.
Today, Scranton's Restaurant maintains the heritage of Scranton Fire Company Number 1 and guests dine in the spot where the mayor once conducted the business of Pascagoula; touch the bars of the town's original jail cell, and glimpse the bright red door that once opened to the old firehouse.
This marker is a part of Jackson County's 200th anniversary celebration. School students may add this site to their "passport" with a pencil rubbing of the picture
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 22.014′ N, 88° 33.499′ W. Marker is in Pascagoula, Mississippi, in Jackson County. Marker is on Delmas Avenue west of Canty Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at waist-level on a post, near the sidewalk, in the small garden area directly in front of the subject 1925 fire station building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 623 Delmas Avenue, Pascagoula MS 39567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jackson County Government (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pascagoula Fire Fighters (about 600 feet away); Orange Avenue Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); DeJean House (approx. ¼ mile away); Dr. Joseph A. Tabor House (approx. ¼ mile away); Captain H.H. Colle House (approx. ¼ mile away); Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
Also see . . . History of the Pascagoula Fire Department.
- Pascagoula Fire Department was formed on October 22nd 1883 as Scranton Fire Company No. 1 (Scranton Mississippi). 35 members paid 1 dollar to join.
- 1904 City of Pascagoula was formed and Scranton Fire Company No. 1 changed its name to Pascagoula Fire Company No. 1
- 1921 downtown Pascagoula burned. 57 buildings were consumed including the original fire station. Biloxi, Gulfport and Mobile fire departments were called for assistance. By the time help arrived, reports say those departments were only able to extinguish remaining embers.
- 1924 new fire station completed (Scranton Restaurant) In its day this station was the most modern in the regional area. (Submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.