Near Forreston in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Thomas Jefferson Chambers
to whom the first land grant within
present Ellis County was made in 1834
by the Mexican government
Also known as Howe's Settlement
in honor of William R. Howe,
first settler in the region
An early post office
in Robertson County
First county seat of
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7088.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 32° 14.431′ N, 96° 52.187′ W. Marker is near Forreston, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on Mosely Street (U.S. 77) 0.3 miles south of Lumkins Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forreston TX 76041, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Marr Hardeman (approx. 3.8 miles away); General Edward H. TarrantWorld War II 1941-1945 (approx. 8.3 miles away); Thomas J. Jordan (approx. 8.8 miles away); James McDaniel (approx. 8.9 miles away); Richardson Cemetery (approx. 8.9 miles away); Milford Cemetery (approx. 8.9 miles away); Milford Presbyterian Church (approx. 9.3 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is in a decommissioned roadside park.
Also see . . . Chambers, Thomas Jefferson [1802-1865]. from the Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.