Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. The country was still so wild, a deer was shot on the Square during Courthouse construction.
Incorporated, 1904. Continued to grow in spite of several epidemics and two disastrous fires. The 1931 Strake Oil discovery turned it into a boom town. Now an industrial, forestry and petroleum center.
Erected 1966 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7867.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 18.759′ N, 95° 27.496′ W. Marker is in Conroe, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is on North Thompson Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Conroe City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 West Davis Street, Conroe TX 77301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other
More about this marker. Incised in base: Montgomery County Historical Survey Committee, 1966
Also see . . . Conroe, Texas - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.