Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Conroe in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Conroe Telephone Exchange

 
 
Conroe Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 13, 2018
1. Conroe Telephone Exchange Marker
Inscription.  A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe Communication Company. He operated the company from the Madeley Building on this site. In 1929 George Madeley sold the company to the owners of the Lufkin Telephone Exchange. At that time the Conroe exchange consisted of a six-position switchboard with two toll operators, one rural operator and three local operators. By the late 1940s the office was too small for the outdated equipment it housed. In 1954 a dial system was installed in a new exchange building. The system was reorganized into the Lufkin-Conroe Telephone Exchange, Inc., in 1985.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12320.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce.
 
Location. 30° 18.67′ N, 95° 27.408′ W. Marker is
Conroe Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, May 13, 2018
2. Conroe Telephone Exchange Marker
in Conroe, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Simonton Street and North Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Simonton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Simonton Street, Conroe TX 77301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conroe Fire of 1911 (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Courthouses (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Conroe (about 700 feet away); The Isaac Conroe Property (approx. 0.2 miles away); Willis (approx. 8 miles away); Site of Willis Cigar Factory (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of former town of Danville (approx. 12.4 miles away); Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett (approx. 12.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conroe.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 28, 2020