Conroe in Montgomery County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Isaac Conroe Property
Temporary Montgomery County Courthouse
A native of New Jersey, Isaac Conroe (1834-1897) served with the Union army during the Civil War. Moving to Southeast Texas with his wife Margaret (Richardson) (1846-1896) in 1866, he lived at Lynchburg and Houston. In 1878 he built a sawmill at Haltom (12 mi. S) and three years later moved his business to the Beach community (2.5 mi. E). A tram line connected the mill with the main line of the International and Great Northern Railroad. The town of Conroe grew up around the intersection and Isaac Conroe became the first postmaster of the new settlement.
The original section of this residence was built by Conroe shortly after he purchased the site in 1885. Four years later he contracted with the county commissioners to use the property as a temporary courthouse. County records and offices were moved from Montgomery (17 mi. W) and remained here until a new courthouse was completed in 1891.
In 1896 Conroe sold the house to his son William Munger Conroe (1870-1947), a prominent lumberman and oil man. Major additions were later made to the home, which was originally a two-story frame structure with an outside stairway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 30° 18.65′ N, 95° 27.245′ W. Marker is in Conroe, Texas, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue A and North 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue A. Marker is located in the front yard of a private residence, but is readable from the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Avenue A, Conroe TX 77301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Conroe Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.2 miles away); Conroe Fire of 1911 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery County Courthouses (approx. ¼ mile away); Conroe (approx. ¼ mile away); Willis (approx. 8 miles away); Site of Willis Cigar Factory (approx. 8.1 miles away); Site of former town of Danville (approx. 12.4 miles away); Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conroe.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on May 14, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on November 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on September 14, 2020, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.