Corvallis in Benton County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The Chapel School for Girls opened in 1871 in a two-story frame building. It had classrooms and a chapel on the first floor and a dormitory lighted by dormer windows on the second floor. IN its first year, Chapel School enrolled sixty pupils. It had two terms of twenty weeks each. Primary pupils paid $10 a term, intermediate $15, and advanced $25. If they wanted piano instruction they paid and additional $25 and $5 for use of the piano.
Chapel School closed in 1873, partly because of competition with coeducational Corvallis College and the State Agricultural College two blocks away on Fifth Street. The chapel continued to be used for church services.
Corvallis had two school districts, Number 28 and Number 9, the dividing line between them being Madison Avenue Street. About 1873, District 38 purchased lots at Seventh and Jefferson Streets
The two Corvallis school districts merged in 1887. Plans were immediately underway to build a new centrally located school, since on the the school buildings had recently burned. The district was paying rent for classroom space in churches.
The Episcopal congregation was growing in 1886, the Corvallis mission became a parish eager to build a new church. They traded lots with the school district, and dismantled Chapel School, using some of the lumber for their new church at Seventh and Jefferson Streets. In its present location on Madison Avenue that building now houses the Corvallis Arts Center.
Voters approved a $25,000 bond issue to build a large new school on the former Chapel School property. This handsome frame building had a full basement, two floors above, and a square tower on top. On each floor it had four large classrooms. The grand staircase at the entrance faced Seventh Street. The school board accepted the completed building on November 11, 1888, and named it Central School.
In 1890, 271 pupils enrolled in the eight grades at Central School. The principal at the time received a salary of $900 a year. Teachers' salaried ranged from $40 to $65 a month.
By 1903 the one
The construction of a new high school building in 1935 signalled the end of Central School's useful life. High School classes moved to the new building on North Eleventh Street. The Junior High School was moved into the old high school building on Sixth Street. In one of its last uses, Central School provided office space for the Summer Recreation Program.
Central School was dismantled in 1935, after having served the Corvallis community for 46 years.
Erected 1987 by Madison Avenue Task Force; Corvallis High School class of 1937 and 1938.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is November 11, 1888.
Location. 44° 33.904′ N, 123° 15.93′ W. Marker is in Corvallis , Oregon, in Benton County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corvallis OR 97333, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Corvallis Public Schools (a few steps from this marker); The Corvallis Arts Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); First Congregational Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Fred J. Porter (about 400 feet away); Benton County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whiteside Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corvallis.
More about this marker. Marker is located in Central Park.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.