Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Euless in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Euless School

 
 
Euless School Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, April 28, 2018
1. Euless School Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  In 1913, patrons of three area elementary schools – Euless and Tarrant in the Euless District and Evatt (Crossroads) in the Evatt District – successfully petitioned Tarrant County Commissioners Court to merge and create the Euless Common School District. Voters elected John D. Huffman, Thomas P. Huffman and Dr. Luther F. Rhodes trustees and approved a $7,000 bond issue for a two-story brick schoolhouse, which opened for the 1914-15 school year.

The school building also became a community center, hosting many activities particularly useful for rural families, such as farm and home demonstration programs, farmers’ meetings, and club work for boys and girls. Several social, cultural, political and patriotic events were also held here. In 1925 Euless voters unanimously incorporated as an Independent School District and elected a seven member board of trustees. Joseph T. House became the first superintendent and also taught along with four classroom teachers. In 1932, high school drama, speech and literary clubs organized, and electricity on the campus made possible proper lighting and a dependable water supply from a new well.

Citizens
Euless School with Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, April 28, 2018
2. Euless School with Marker
Marker is edge on, to the left.
of adjoining districts met several times in the 1940s to discuss the possibility of merging and building a central facility with a broader high school curriculum. The opening of the nearby Bell Helicopter Manufacturing Plant and Fort Worth Municipal Airport brought population growth, and in January 1955 residents voted to merge the Euless and Hurst districts. Bedford voters initially rejected consolidation but joined in 1958, creating the present Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District. The 1914 Euless School, which served until 1955 consolidation, was razed in 1970. South Euless Elementary School now occupies the site.
Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15815.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
 
Location. 32° 49.735′ N, 97° 4.909′ W. Marker is in Euless, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Yellow Rose Trail, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 S Main St, Euless TX 76040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Calloway Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Alexander Dobkins Family Cemetery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 3 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 3 miles away); Jesse Chisholm (approx. 3 miles away); Shady Grove Cemetery (approx. 4 miles away); Minter's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 4.1 miles away); Haley Memorial Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Euless.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2018, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2018, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 5, 2020