Ozona in Crockett County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(1 Mile North)
In August 1890 the town was in the path of a prairie fire. Although valiant work turned the fire, it was visible for two nights before and two nights after it circled the town. Also in 1890, the county's first school session was held in a tent in Emerald by Mrs. John Noyes. After a frame schoolhouse was built, Mrs. John Ketchpaw taught there. Miss Ada Williams taught the last school term in the spring of 1893.
Confident it would be the county seat, Emerald nevertheless lost in the election of 1891 to the E. M. Powell water well site (now Ozona). Wilkinson protested, to no avail. After the residents began to move to the Powell Well, Emerald Post Office closed on December
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1471.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 30° 41.953′ N, 101° 5.49′ W. Marker is in Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Interstate 10 and Taylor Road (County Road 108), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located at the Circle Bar Truckstop and is attached to a brick column between the hotel and the restaurant. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3331 I-10E, Ozona TX 76943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Emerald House (approx. 6 miles away); Ozona's Water System (approx. 6.4 miles away); Crockett County Jail (approx. 6½ miles away); Crockett County Courthouse (approx. 6½ miles away); The Perner House (approx. 6½ miles away); Ozona's First Water Well (approx. 6½ miles away); Crockett County (approx. 6.6 miles away); Old Ozona Hotel (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozona.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 102 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.