Rio Grande City in Starr County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created February 10, 1848
Organized August 7, 1848
Named for Dr. James Harper Starr
1809 – 1890
Pioneer Texas surgeon and Indian fighter
Located at Nacogdoches in 1837
Secretary of the Treasury
of the Republic of Texas
1839 – 1840
Assistant Postmaster General
of the Confederacy.
Rio Grande City, the county seat
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 5098.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 26° 22.789′ N, 98° 49.223′ W. Marker is in Rio Grande City, Texas, in Starr County. Marker is at the intersection of East 2nd Street and Britton Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East 2nd Street. Marker is located on the Britton Ave main plaza. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rio Grande City TX 78582, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this markerRio Grande City, C.S.A (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Rancho Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Cortina Battle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Rio Grande City (about 300 feet away); Immaculate Conception School (about 400 feet away); Gregorio Barrera (about 400 feet away); José de Escandón (about 600 feet away); Mifflin Kenedy Warehouse (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rio Grande City.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Dr. James Harper Starr
Also see . . .
1. Starr County, Texas. The county seat is Rio Grande City, which is on U.S. Highway 83 and the Border Pacific Railroad. In 1747 Miguel de la Garza Falcón reconnoitered the area in search of suitable land to establish a settlement. He condemned the land as unsuitable for stock raising and farming and deemed it uninhabitable. Despite his complaint the area drew the attention of the Spanish crown, and in 1749 José de Escandón was assigned the task of colonizing the area. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Welcome to Starr County, Texas. The founder of Starr County is Matias Longoria, who was awarded a land grant from the king of Spain. The 2000 census shows that the Percentage Hispanic population (97.5%) (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Dr. James Harper Starr. James Harper Starr, physician, Republic of Texas treasurer, land agent, banker, and Confederate official, son of James and Persia (Shaw) Starr, was born at New Hartford, Connecticut, on December 18, 1809. On December 14, 1837, the Texas Congress established the General Land Office, and President Sam Houston selected Starr as president of the board of land commissioners. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. James Harper Starr. James Harper Starr served as a commissioner of the Texas General Land Office and later Secretary of the Treasury of the Republic of Texas, and also as director of the postal service of the Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War as well as the namesake of Starr County in Texas. (Submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 159 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.