Tioga Sawmill Commissary
The Iron Mountain Railroad pushed its lines into Central Louisiana in 1880. Five miles north of Pineville, Julius Levin built a sawmill beside the tracks. He named his town "Levin" which was later changed to "Tioga". A commissary was built at this time. In 1905, the mill built by Levin, was purchased by Stephen "Sword" Lee and the name changed to the Lee Lumber Company.
The commissary was a rural version of the uptown department store. The Tioga commissary offered everything needed in a normal household, including sewing fabric, work clothes, over-the-counter drugs, cosmetics, canned goods, fresh produce, meats, horse feed, hay and fencing. Ice cost 5 cents for a ten pound block.
The sawmill closed in 1925 when timber had been depleted; the
houses and commissary purchased by Sam Allen. Mr. Sam continued
to serve the community until 1947 when Rudolph Merritt, a long-time employee of the store, acquired the inventory. In 1981, this historic structure closed its doors as the community store.
Erected by Capital One.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic
Location. 31° 23.012′ N, 92° 25.749′ W. Marker is in Tioga, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Tioga Road south of Third Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1300 Tioga Road, Tioga LA 71477, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. This Stone Was A Part Of The 1st LA. Seminary (approx. 1.8 miles away); Early Leadership (approx. 1.8 miles away); Campus Life (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Seminary Building (approx. 1.8 miles away); A Brief History of the Seminary and the Original Campus (approx. 1.8 miles away); State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy (approx. 1.8 miles away); Superintendent William T. Sherman (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fallen Federal Firefighters/ Oklahoma City Bombing Victims Memorial Grove (approx. 1.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 22, 2018. 2. submitted on May 24, 2018.