Woodstock in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Mabel Lee Walton and Sigma Sigma Sigma
Erected 2014 by Department of Historic Resources. Sponsored by Marcia Cutter, Executive Director, Sigma Sigma Sigma, Inc. (Marker Number A-85.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations.
Location. 38° 53.011′ N, 78° 30.252′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodstock VA 22664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1LT Charles Bare Gatewood (a few steps from this marker); The oldest business in Woodstock (within shouting distance of this marker); Shenandoah County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shenandoah County Jail (about 600 feet away); This Building of (about 600 feet away); Mt. Zion Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg (about 600 feet away); Woodstock (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
More about this marker. The marker is on Main street, for maximum visibility. Tri Sigma headquarters is a block away on Muhlenberg Street. From the marker proceed west on Locust and turn right on Muhlenberg. The Walton House is on the left.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry for Sigma Sigma Sigma. “In the 1890s, the State Female Normal School in Farmville, Virginia (now known as Longwood University) was the state’s first institution to open its doors to teacher education, at a time when higher education for women was a highly debated topic. Eight students (Margaret Batten, Louise Davis, Martha Trent Featherston, Isabella Merrick, Sallie Michie, Lelia Scott, Elizabeth Watkins, and Lucy Wright) formed a special bond while studying for their future teaching careers. Lelia Scott and Lucy Wright led the first meetings of their secret society, the S.S.S. Club, in 1897. On April 20, 1898, these women officially announced the (Submitted on October 3, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on May 22, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 3, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.