Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bellville in Austin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bellville Turnverein Pavilion

 
 
Bellville Turnverein Pavilion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, March 29, 2018
1. Bellville Turnverein Pavilion Marker
Inscription.  In the 19th century two organizations, the Bellville Social Club and the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil, sponsored community-wide social activities. The Social Club purchased this property from Herman Miller in 1883 and planned construction of a pavilion. The Bellville Turnverein, founded in 1885, built an opera house in 1889 which became the center of the town's social activity.

In 1895, the Turnverein purchased the Social Club's property and hired local contractor Joachim Hintz to build this pavilion. It was completed in 1897. One of several polygonal social halls built in Austin County, this 12-sided structure required extra long lumber which was shipped directly from the mills. It became the primary site for community celebrations and activities.

The city of Bellville purchased the property and pavilion in 1937 and sponsored a competition among Texas A&M University students to redesign the park. The winning design, along with a grant from the Federal Works Progress Administration, enabled the city to build new facilities and update the pavilion with modern amenities. It continues to serve as a focal point for many community
Bellville Turnverein Pavilion image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, March 29, 2018
2. Bellville Turnverein Pavilion
Click or scan to see
this page online
gatherings.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11703.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 29° 56.768′ N, 96° 14.829′ W. Marker is in Bellville, Texas, in Austin County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Farm to Market Road 529) and North Amthor Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 966 E Main St, Bellville TX 77418, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joachim H. Hintz (a few steps from this marker); Oak Knoll Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Michael Robert Pilley (approx. 0.2 miles away); L.A. and Adelheid Machemehl House (approx. half a mile away); E.O. Finn Building (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Bellville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Austin County Jail (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Harigel House (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 147 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=117609

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2022