Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorena in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Lorena United Methodist Church

 
 
Lorena United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, March 6, 2018
1. Lorena United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This church was organized in 1881 under the Rev. E.R. Barcus as pastor. The congregation met at first in the Baptist Church building. Trustees Herbert J. Hudson, A.J. Pool, and H.C. Williams bought the site and supervised the construction of the sanctuary in 1886. It owes its distinctive architecture to plans that came form the home church of trustee Hudson, a native of Cambridge, England. A very devout Methodist Layman, Hudson came to Lorena in 1877 and operated a store and private bank. Bishop A.W. Wilson dedicated the fine original church in 1887.

Asphalt shingles have replaced the wooden roof; louvers that attracted nesting birds have been removed from the tower; and there have been other alterations. Stained glass windows now enhance the structure. A classroom annex erected in 1922 was joined to the sanctuary by another unit in 1950. The later additions have been in the style adopted in 1886. The annex is open to many public gatherings, as the congregation takes an interest in the civic life of Lorena. Besides the successive pastors, leaders in the work of this church have included members of the Hath, Holey, Hooper, Rucker, Stanford,
Lorena United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, March 6, 2018
2. Lorena United Methodist Church
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Stewart families.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5372.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1881.
 
Location. 31° 23.064′ N, 97° 12.915′ W. Marker is in Lorena, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is at the intersection of South Bordon Street and Betties Street, on the right when traveling north on South Bordon Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 S Bordon St, Lorena TX 76655, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McBrayer City Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Lorena Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Martin Irons (approx. 4.3 miles away); Stanford Chapel Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Eddy Methodist Church (approx. 6½ miles away); Roy Bedichek (approx. 7.2 miles away); Central Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorena.
 
Also see . . .  Lorena United Methodist Church. (Submitted on May 25, 2018.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=117610

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021