Downtown Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Nineteenth Street Baptist Church
The first Baptist congregation in the city met here in 1802, with both white and black attending services. The "First Baptist Church" moved in 1833 and this location became home of the "First Colored Baptist Church of the City of Washington" (1839).
The church was rebuilt in 1871 after the street name was adopted. Shown here is the 1917 east wall, built of brick with a wood cornice and slate roof.
An example of the brickworks is nearby.
The original iron fence has been reused to enclose this yard.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1802.
Location. 38° 54.058′ N, 77° 2.616′ W. Marker is in Downtown Washington in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is on 19th Street Northwest south of I Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 880 19th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20006, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Seven Buildings" (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Methodist ChurchUnion Engine House (about 600 feet away); Edward R. Murrow (about 600 feet away); Home of James Monroe (about 600 feet away); "The Bachelor" (about 700 feet away); The IMF (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown Washington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.