Palmyra in Wayne County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Log Home
In 1818 or 1819 Joseph Smith Sr., his wife Lucy Mack Smith, and their eight children moved from Palmyra Village to Stafford Road just north of the 100 acres they planned to acquire. They built a log home and outbuildings in his site where they resided for approximately seven years.
In the spring of 1829, Father and Mother Smith and their younger children returned to the log home where they lived with Hyrum's family until the fall of 1830.
We were able to settle ourselves upon our own land [in] a snug, comfortable habitation built and neatly furnished by our own industry....Again we began to rejoice in our prosperity, and our hearts glowed with gratitude to God for the manifestations of his favor that surrounded us. -Lucy Mack Smith
Erected by Joseph Smith Farm Museum.
Topics. Churches & Religion.
Location. 43° 2.409′ N, 77° 14.453′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, New York, in Wayne County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Stafford Road and Temple Road. Marker is on the grounds of the Joseph Smith Farm. He was the founder of the Mormanism. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 843 Stafford Road, Palmyra NY 14522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Creating a Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); The Eight Witnesses (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Sacred Grove (about 300 feet away); Apple Orchard (about 700 feet away); Fencing the Land (about 700 feet away); Cooper Shop (about 700 feet away); The Frame Home (about 700 feet away); Threshing Barn (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 22, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.