East Bloomington in Hennepin County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Gideon and Agnes Pond House
Welcome to the 19th century dwelling of Gideon and Agnes Hopkins Pond, missionaries to the Dakota Indians, farmers, and ministers to the community of Bloomington, Minnesota, during the mid- to late-1800s.
Following a move from the Lake Calhoun area in 1843, Gideon Pond and Eli Pettijohn built a two-story log mission house near this site. Nine years later in 1852, Pond built a wood frame "preemption" house in order to lay claim to the ownership of the land. In 1856 Pond and some hired help constructed the Federal Style brick house you see before you. Attached to the wooden preemption house, it was constructed from a supply of approximately 60,000 bricks made of clay dug out of the river bottoms. Shortly thereafter, the log mission house was dismantled and the timbers were used to construct a split-level barn.
In 1910 the preemption house was dismantled and a two-story addition was constructed in its place. For over 140 years, the Pond House was home to four generations of Pond descendants. The City of Bloomington purchased the property in 1975 and undertook stabilization work in the 1980s. In 1995 a full restoration
This house has been maintained as a museum by the City of Bloomington since the completion of the restoration work in 1995. The Gideon and Agnes Pond House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by City of Bloomington Parks and Recreation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 44° 48.806′ N, 93° 16.277′ W. Marker is in Bloomington, Minnesota, in Hennepin County. It is in East Bloomington. Marker can be reached from East 104th Street. In Pond-Dakota Mission Park on the north side of the Pond House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 104th St E, Minneapolis MN 55420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1856 Federal Style Gideon H. Pond House (here, next to this marker); Samuel W. and Gideon H. Pond (a few steps from this marker); Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); Oak Grove Mission (within shouting distance of this marker); Pond Family Heritage Timeline (within shouting distance of this marker); Missionaries to the DakotaDakota Missions on the Frontier (within shouting distance of this marker); Dakota Life (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bloomington.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 246 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2018, by McGhiever of St Paul, Minnesota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.