Royal Borough of Greenwich in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Turkish Bronze Gun
This Turkish bronze gun was cast in 1790-91 (AH1212), in the reign of the Ottoman Sultan Selim III. It weighs 5.2 tonnes, fired stone shot just over 56 kilos and is one of two taken by Admiral Sir John Duckworth from Kinali Island in the sea of Marmora in 1807.
The gun was presented to the Royal Naval Asylum at Greenwich by HRH Prince Ernest, Duke of Cumberland, on 21 October 1807. The cast-iron display carriage was made later by the Royal Carriage Department of the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Its decorative plaques commemorate British naval victories.
In 1821 the Asylum became part of the Greenwich Hospital School, renamed the Royal Hospital School in 1892. The School moved to Holbrook, Suffolk in 1933. Its Greenwich buildings are now the Naval Maritime Museum. The gun also went to Holbrook until returned for display here in 2007 with financial support from Greenwich Hospital.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: Military.
Location. 51° 28.979′ N, 0° 0.536′ W. Marker is in Royal Borough of Greenwich, England Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Royal Borough of Greenwich, England SE10 9LW, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Zealand Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenwich Foot Tunnel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Greenwich Foot Tunnel (about 90 meters away); Bellot Memorial (about 90 meters away); Britain's Oldest Brewer (about 150 meters away); Byer’s improved stockless anchor, 1953 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Hall’s improved stockless anchor, 1963 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named Greenwich Foot Tunnel (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Also see . . . Royal Naval Asylum on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.