City of Westminster in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
The Hampton Site
Shop fronts then appeared on the ground floors and numbers 14 to 18 Whitcomb Street on this site were occupied by Hamptons the Builders Decorators and Furniture Suppliers. This later became Hamptons Furniture Store which was bombed in 1940 during the second World War. In 1959 the site was acquired by the government for an extension to the National Gallery.
In March 1985 three brothers John Simon and Timothy Sainsbury offered to commission a new building for the site as a gift to the nation. The Sainsbury Wing designed by Venturi Scott Brown Associates of Philadelphia USA
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music Industry & Commerce.
Location. 51° 30.535′ N, 0° 7.787′ W. Marker is in City of Westminster, England, in Greater London County. Marker is on St. Martin’s Street just from Whitcomb Street, on the left when traveling south. Located on the north wall of the National Gallery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: City of Westminster, England WC2N 5DN, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Invisible Enemy Should Not Exist (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); Rugby Football Union (about 120 meters away); Henry Irving (about 150 meters away); The Trafalgar Way at Canada House (about 150 meters away); Herbert Tree (about 150 meters away); Sir Joshua Reynolds (about 150 meters away); Charles James Napier (about 150 meters away); Her Majesty's Theatre (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.