Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman
1810 - 1875
Founder of Brownsville and partner in firm of M. Kenedy and Company, which opened the Rio Grande to steamboat navigation and controlled much of the commerce of Northern Mexico, 1848-1868.
was the birthplace of
President of the National City
Bank of New York, 1891-1909
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2531.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 25° 54.056′ N, 97° 29.791′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Street (Business U.S. 77) and East 13th Street, on the right when traveling north on East Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1325 East Washington Street, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stillman House / Residencia Stillman (a few Stillman House Museum (a few steps from this marker); Stillman House (a few steps from this marker); Home of Charles Stillman (a few steps from this marker); San Roman Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Román Building (about 400 feet away); Manautou Building (about 400 feet away); Bollack Department Store (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Brownsville Home of Charles Stillman. Texas Historic Landmark (1964), National Register of Historic Places (1979). This building now serves as the Stillman House Museum.
Also see . . .
1. Stillman House Museum. Charles Stillman was a Riverboat Captain along with Captains King and Kenedy who operated the Steamboats plying the River as far west as Rio Grande City and Roma. King and Kenedy received large tracts of land in lieu of payment for transporting troops during the Mexican War. Two counties immediately North of the Valley bear their names. Mr. Stillman enjoyed the River too much (Submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Charles Stillman. Stillman started a town company to sell lots for as much as $1,500 each and named the place Brownsville. By 1850 a population of between 3,000 and 4,000 had concentrated there. Stillman later sold the enormous ranch property north of Brownsville to his partner Kenedy. He concentrated his investments in the National City Bank of New York, which his son James later controlled. Stillman built a notable home in Brownsville in 1850 and lived in Brownsville and New York City until 1866, when he moved permanently to New York. He died there in December 1875. (Submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.