New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Bank of Louisiana
The bank was liquidated in 1867 and for a short time the building was used as the conveyance office. In 1868-1869 it served as the state capitol for Louisiana. In 1870 it was occupied by the Royal Street Auctioneers Exchange. Between 1871 and 1873 the building was used as a concert-hall-beer-saloon, when the city refused permission to continue the saloon operation, the building was remodeled for the use of the Superior Criminal Court.
The court was abolished in 1877 and from 1879 until 1908 the building served as the Office of the Recorder of Mortgages and Conveyances. In 1912 it served briefly as the Juvenile Court.
In 1921 it was occupied by the American Legion and from 1926 to 1971 it served as the social hall for Crescent City Post 125.
During the early 1920’s part of the building was
A third fire damaged the building in 1931.
In 1971 the exterior of the building was restored and the interior remodeled for the use of the Greater New Orleans Tourist and Convention Commission.
Plaque dedicated 1976 on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the erection of the building.
Erected 1976 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 57.324′ N, 90° 4.011′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Royal Street and Conti Street on Royal Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 334 Royal Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rillieux – Waldhorn House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgar Degas House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway’s Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Fred J. Cassibry Square (about 400 feet away); Tortorici’s (about 400 feet away); U.S. Branch Bank (about 400 feet away); Jack Teagarden Original Old Absinthe Bar (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Regarding Bank of Louisiana. The building is currently used as a precinct station of the New Orleans Police Department.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on May 27, 2018, by Warren E Duclos Jr of Mandeville, Louisiana. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.