Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

City of London, England, United Kingdom
 

Temple Bar

 
 
Temple Bar Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 29, 2018
1. Temple Bar Marker
Inscription.  
Temple Bar is the only surviving gateway into the City of London and is the successor to the thirteenth century posts and chain, which marked the boundary between the "Liberties" of London and the City of Westminster. It was erected in 1672 at the behest of King Charles II to replace a previous timber structure which had survived the Great Fire of London but was falling into disrepair.

This monument, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and built by Joshua Marshall and Thomas Knight, with statues by John Bushnell, stood at the junction of Fleet Street and the Strand until 1878 when it was impeding both the flow of traffic and the construction of the Royal Courts of Justice. It was taken down stone by stone following a Resolution of the Court of Common Council on the 15 November 1877, with a view to it being re-erected elsewhere in the City.

Although there was strong public attachment to the Bar, for many years no place could be found for it in the City. In 1887 the brewer, Sir Henry Meux, acquired the stones from the Corporation of London and rebuilt the Bar as a gateway into his estate at Theobalds Park in Hertfordshire.
The Temple Bar Gateway image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, April 29, 2018
2. The Temple Bar Gateway
There it was designated a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade I Listed Building, but over the years suffered continuing vandalism and deterioration until the Temple Bar Trust, founded by Sir Hugh Wontner in 1976, with the purpose of returning it to the City, purchased the stones from the Meux Trust. The Temple Bar Trust, after a long campaign, aided by City Livery Companies, Businesses and public donations, found this site and arranged for the return of the Bar. In 200l the Court of Common Council of the Corporation of London resolved to accept the Bar as a gift from the Trust and to fund all costs of its removal and reconstruction. Work began immediately and was completed in November 2004.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable Buildings.
 
Location. 51° 30.849′ N, 0° 5.973′ W. Marker is in City of London, England. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Ludgate Hill and Ave Maria Lane, on the left when traveling east. Located in St. Paul's Churchyard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: City of London, England EC4M 8AY, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Young Mens Christian Association (here, next to this marker); The Grand Lodge of English Freemasons (here, next to this marker); John Wesley (about 90 meters away,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
measured in a direct line); St Paul’s Cathedral (about 90 meters away); “Pavls Cross” (about 120 meters away); United Kingdom Firefighters National Memorial (about 150 meters away); Vestry House (about 180 meters away); Ludgate (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Temple Bar. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Temple Bar, London on Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 59 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 10, 2020