Brownsville in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914
Completed in 1883, this was the first courthouse built by Cameron County officials, who previously rented or purchased office space. This three-story brick structure served as the county courthouse until 1914, when a new building was erected. Rio Grande Lodge No. 81, A.F.&A.M., then occupied this structure. The original roof, with its gables and central tower, was removed during remodeling.
Erected 1962 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 640.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 25° 54.193′ N, 97° 29.768′ W. Marker is in Brownsville, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Street and East 12th Street, on the right when traveling north on East Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1131 E Jefferson St, Brownsville TX 78520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old County Courthouse Rio Grande Lodge No. 81 (a few steps from this marker); 1882 Cameron County CourthouseImmaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); La Catedral del la Inmaculada Concepcion (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Pierre Yves Keralum (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Immaculate Conception Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownsville.
Regarding Cameron County Courthouse of 1883-1914. This courthouse lost most of its Victorian detail in 1933, when the Labor Day hurricane blew off the roof and cupola.
Also see . . . Cameron County Courthouse. The original Cameron County Courthouse, was designed by architect Jasper N. Preston in the Second Empire style of architecture. Built between 1882 and 1883 by S. W. Brooks as the first court house of Cameron County, it served as such until 1914 when the 1912 courthouse was completed. (Submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.