Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ozona in Crockett County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well

 
 
Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2019
1. Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well Marker
Inscription.  In 1923 World Oil Co., owned by Chester R. Bunker, Ft. Worth publisher and printer, began drilling on the L. P. Powell Ranch. Work progressed slowly, depending on the availability of money, under the direction of superintendent Mickey Green and the tool pusher known only as "Dangerous Dan." The wildcat operation proved successful in the spring of 1925, when the first well (10 mi. northwest) came in at a depth of 2647 feet and began producing 25 barrels of oil a day. The strike opened up the world pool, more commonly known as the Powell Field, which is still yielding oil. Eventually 180 wells were drilled by a number of companies on Powell's 9260-acre ranch. Bunker, a New York-born World War I veteran, sold his rights to Humble and Marland Oil Co. after the strike, but Powell's heirs still own the land. Powell No. 1 has produced continuously since 1925 and now, under the operation of Petro-Lewis, yields 10 barrels a day.

Powell No. 1 was the beginning of a vital new industry for Crockett County, before 1925 primarily a ranching area. The next important strike occurred in the Crockett Field in 1938. There are currently over 2000 producing
Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Brian Anderson, July 6, 2019
2. Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
oil and gas wells in the county.
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1113.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Natural Resources. A significant historical year for this entry is 1925.
 
Location. 30° 54.671′ N, 101° 26.788′ W. Marker is in Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 190 and State Highway 137, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 190. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ozona TX 76943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 30, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 11, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Humble, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=117985

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 28, 2023