Robstown in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George H. Paul Building Site
Robstown began in 1903 at the merger point of the Texas-Mexican and the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railroads. The town grew rapidly after the arrival of land developer George H. Paul. He organized the George H. Paul Land Co., acquired about 300,000 acres of land from nearby ranches, and subdivided the property into cotton farms. Special trains transported Paul's land agents to the East and Midwest to interest prospective buyers in the area.
The hub of activities in the new community was the Paul Building, a two story red brick structure erected at this location in 1908. Its first floor was occupied by the Howard and Jacoby General Store. The multi-purpose building also housed Robstown's first school and a community room where church services were held. A windmill and well behind the structure provided the town's water supply.
The Guaranty State Bank, organized in 1913 by William H. ("Bill") Daimwood, occupied the Paul Building in 1924. Renamed the State National Bank of Robstown in 1925, it was noted for its stability in the Great Depression of the 1930s. The Paul Building was demolished in 1972, after the structure
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6317.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
Location. 27° 47.373′ N, 97° 39.821′ W. Marker is in Robstown, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Avenue and North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 E Main Ave, Robstown TX 78380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robstown Record (within shouting distance of this marker); Sie Sind Willkommen (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Violet, Texas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of Santa Petronila Ranch (approx. 9.3 miles away); Odem First Baptist Church (approx. 11.9 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 12.1 miles away); Odem Veterans Memorial (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Also see . . . George H. Paul. Paul worked out a deal with Robert Driscoll to sell part of the Driscoll Ranch. To promote land sales Paul established the town of Robstown. From Washington, Iowa, his (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 131 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.