Robstown in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Robstown Record began serving the Robstown community and surrounding areas in 1919, when M.L. Dale and his wife, Myrtle, began to print the paper. At the time, Robstown did not have a newspaper; the community's first new periodical, the Robstown Reporter, had previously ended publication. The Dales published from an office on Main Avenue until 1925, when they moved away from the community. The Robstown chamber of commerce published the paper until 1926, when Elma and Sam L. Fore, Jr. purchased it and moved the business to 104 N. Fifth. Fore was a founder and president of the south Texas Press Association; four other presidents of the institution also worked for the Robstown Record. In 1941, the eldest daughter of the Fores, Marion, and her husband Carrroll Keach, moved to Robstown to work in the family business. In 1967, the couple became the sole owners of the Robstown Record.
The weekly newspaper has covered the important political, economic, social and cultural events affecting Robstown. It has received regional, state and national awards. Through the years, the newspaper continued to be managed
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15776.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 27° 47.399′ N, 97° 39.801′ W. Marker is in Robstown, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North 5th Street north of East Main Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 N 5th St, Robstown TX 78380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George H. Paul Building Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Sie Sind Willkommen (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Violet, Texas (approx. 4.2 miles away); Banquete Cemetery (approx. 7.7 miles away); Banquete, C.S.A.Site of Santa Petronila Ranch (approx. 9.4 miles away); Casa Blanca Land Grant (approx. 10½ miles away).
Also see . . . Nueces County Record Star. (Submitted on June 1, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 253 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.