Sarita in Kenedy County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kenedy County Courthouse Construction
Work began on the courthouse across the street in 1918, and it was finished the next year. At that time Sarita was the county seat of Willacy County, which was established in 1911. When the State of Texas reorganized the counties in 1921, Sarita became the county seat of the newly established Kenedy County.
Materials for the courthouse and for the great house on the Kenedy Ranch at La Parra were brought to the Kenedy wharf on Baffin Bay, and hauled by mule and ox-drawn wagons to the construction site.
La construcción del juzgado al otro lado de la calle comenzó en 1918, y se completó el año después. En esa epoca Sarita era el centro judicial del condado de Willacy, el cual fue establecido en 1911. Cuando el gobierno del estado de Texas reorganizó los condados en 1921, Sarita se estableció como el centro judicial del condado de Kenedy, recientemente formado.
Los materiales para construir el juzgado y la casa grande de la hacienda de Kenedy en La Parra fueron envíados al muelle de Kenedy en la Bahía Baffin. Luego, carros tirados por mulas y bueyes los transportaron
Erected by Kenedy Ranch Museum of South Texas.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 27° 13.322′ N, 97° 47.489′ W. Marker is in Sarita, Texas, in Kenedy County. Marker is at the intersection of Mallory Street and East La Parra Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Mallory Street. Marker is located in front of the Kenedy Ranch Museum of South Texas. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 E La Parra Ave, Sarita TX 78385, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Town of Sarita (a few steps from this marker); Kenedy County (within shouting distance of this marker); Riviera - 1687 (within shouting distance of this marker); 1766 Exploration of Diego Ortiz Parilla (approx. 9.3 miles away); U.S. Army March to Rio Grande, 1846 (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Kenedy County Courthouse. (This link presents current and historic photos of the courthouse exterior and interior.) The Kenedy County courthouse was actually built in 1917 and it served as the courthouse for Willacy County. When Kenedy County was created in 1921, Willacy County was reorganized and the county (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.