Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mason County Jail
A good example of a small, nineteenth-century jail, this structure was built in 1894 from the brown sandstone available in the nearby hills. The ground floor of the county's third jail includes living quarters for the sheriff, while the jail cells are located on the second floor. The modified Romanesque Revival building features a massive entry arch, segmental arches over the windows, and a central tower.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11287.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Law Enforcement.
Location. 30° 44.867′ N, 99° 13.922′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Westmoreland Street and Post Hill Street, on the left when traveling west on Westmoreland Street. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, just right of the main front Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 Westmoreland Street, Mason TX 76856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mason National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Mason County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); R. Grosse and Sons (about 400 feet away); Hofmann Dry Goods Company (about 500 feet away); The Commercial Bank (about 500 feet away); First Comanche-German Meeting (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Fort Mason (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Regarding Mason County Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1983)
Also see . . . Mason County.
Fort Mason was reoccupied by federal troops in 1866, but by 1868 it was permanently abandoned. The danger of Indian attacks had subsided, although there were sporadic raids as late as 1872. The county was finally able to build its first courthouse and jail in Mason in 1869. By 1871 or 1872 ranchers began to fence the ranges, first with native stone and later with barbed wire. The fencing was prompted by disputes with sheepherders and trouble with rustlers. Fence-cutting wars followed this move, and wire-cutting became a prison offense. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.