Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ever Changing Landscapes
The grounds were very important to the Starks. Much as the home changed throughout their lives, the grounds also evolved. Over the years, they added three greenhouses, or conservatories, a potting shed, lily pond, servants quarters, and more. In beautifying the grounds, they spent more money on lawn supplies and yardmen than on household help and utilities. The map shows the grounds as they were when the Starks passed away in 1936.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1936.
Location. 30° 5.555′ N, 93° 44.126′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on 6th Street north of Main Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located on the W. H. Stark House grounds, beside the sidewalk, inside the fence, just south of the main front driveway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Main Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.H. Stark House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Henry Stark (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher StarkHenry Jacob Lutcher (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Rotary International (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Orange (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on a waist-high post.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. W. H. Stark House and grounds
Also see . . .
1. W. H. Stark House.
Twelve-foot ceilings, nine-foot-high windows and floor sills in the majority of the downstairs, a clear north-south orientation of prime living areas, roofed eight-foot galleries serving every room, and an open-air gazebo-like structure supported by a columned porte cochere all contributed to comfort in a semitropical climate. The house stands much as it did at the turn of the century, when the Starks used it for their frequent entertaining. Its original furniture reflects a period and style to match the architecture. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Orange's W.H. Stark House rich with history.
The W.H. Stark House is a perfectly restored 15-room Victorian mansion that represents the typical home of a wealthy, turn-of-the-century Southeast Texas family. The Stark House stands alone as the only surviving structure of many that once lined a tree-shaded residential neighborhood in Orange, Texas. The home belonged to William Henry and Miriam Lutcher Stark, who with their son, H.J. Lutcher Stark, have had an enduring cultural and social influence on this small Texas town on the border of Louisiana. (Submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 168 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 4, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.