Lorman in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Oakland Memorial Chapel
Windsor Battlefield Tour
Construction on Oakland Memorial Chapel was begun in 1840 by Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, the college's founder and president. It was completed in 1851, two years after the death of Dr. Chamberlain. While this structure was consistently referred to as the Chapel, the building also housed recitation and library rooms, space for philosophical and chemical apparatus, and an observatory in the cupola. Oakland Chapel therefore united the religious and academic activities of the college in one building.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 31° 52.561′ N, 91° 8.398′ W. Marker is in Lorman, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on ASU Drive north of Alcorn Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorman MS 39096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alcorn State University (1871) (here, next to this marker); The Original Campus (here, next to this marker); The Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Oakland College Alcorn Agricultural And Mechanical College (a few steps from this marker); Belles Lettres Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Port Gibson to Rodney Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Canemount Plantation (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorman.
More about this marker. Located in front of the Oakland Memorial Chapel.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2018.