Fort Morgan in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Battery Bailey
Position of the 2nd Connecticut Light Artillery August 20-25, 1864
Construction began on August 19th on two artillery positions that were emplaced only 200 yards from the southeast bastion of Fort Morgan. These positions, which were part of Battery Bailey, anchored the southern flank of the Federal siege lines. Although a tremendous storm briefly delayed completion the battery positions were ready for emplacement of the guns by the morning of August 20th. That day, two 3-inch Ordnance Rifles and 12-pounder “Napoleons” of the 2nd Connecticut Light Artillery were transported across Mobile Bay from Fort Gaines. The 2nd and its guns were within easy range of Confederate heavy artillery on the southeast bastion and infantry located on the counterscarp. A soldier of the 2nd described the battery’s ordeal in the line.
"Our battery was the last to get into position and was placed on the extreme left of the semi-circular line of entrenchments. We were within 300 years of the southeast angle of the fort and had to place our guns in a position under the grape and canister of the enemy and the ire of their sharpshooters who were posted behind sandbags on the parapet. During the night previous
The 2nd Connecticut, which had served with distinction at the Battle of Gettysburg, was ordered to dislodge sharpshooters and to keep three of Fort Morgan’s heavy guns from firing into the Federal lines. “ We had a fine opportunity for target practice at the short range,” as one soldier put it. Accurate firing by the 2nd destroyed all three of their targets.
On August 25th, the 2nd Connecticut Artillery was ordered out of their position at Fort Morgan and transported across Mobile Bay for service at Cedar Point.
The crew of two 12-pounders “Napoleons” prepare to open fire front on an entrenched position similar to those constructed by the Federal Army at For Morgan. (Library of Congress)
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is August 20, 1864.
Location. 30° 13.655′ N, 88° 1.442′ W. Marker is in Fort Morgan, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Memorial can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Panama Mount (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of Mobile Bay (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Battle of Mobile Bay (about 300 feet away); Citadel (1825-1865) (about 500 feet away); The Citadel (about 500 feet away); Battery Thomas (1898-1917) (about 500 feet away); Battery Schenck (1899-1923) (about 700 feet away).
Also see . . .
1. 2nd Connecticut Light Battery. The Civil War in the East entry:
August 9-23: Operations against Fort Morgan (Submitted on June 5, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
2. History of the Second Connecticut Volunteer Light Battery. Connecticut Military Department entry:
The Battery witnessed the surrender of Fort Gaines, and on the 20th crossed to the rear of Fort Morgan and assisted in the bombardment of that stronghold. For twenty-four hours shot and shell poured in upon the fort from land and sea. The citadel was set on fire in the night, and at early dawn a white flag signaled the surrender. On the 28th the Battery crossed Mobile Bay to Cedar Point, and on the 10th of September (Submitted on June 5, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2018, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.