Near St. Henry in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Francis Catholic Church
In the “Land of Cross-Tipped Churches”
Architect: William P. Ginther (1859- 1933), Akron, OH
Contractor: Nicholas A. Ley, Minster, OH
The parish, established in 1856 by German immigrants, was a daughter parish of St. Henry and named in honor of St. Francis of Assisi (1181- 1226). A brick church measuring 38 by 65 feet was soon constructed on land donated by Christopher and Margaretha Schunck. The early pastors, Missionaries of the Precious Blood, traveled to serve the newly formed parish from Himmelgarten Convent near St. Henry and from other neighboring parishes.
The church, a High Victorian Gothic Revival structure, measures 54 by 99 feet with a spire rising 110 feet. An extensive transept with large stained glass windows, created by the Artistic Glass Company, Cincinnati, dominates the short nave of the church. Bedford Stone was used on the stone entrance and exterior walls, creating a highly decorative and welcoming effect. A large bell in the tower, named St, Michael, was purchased from the Van Duzen Co., Cincinnati was added to the two existing bells from the old church. Three carved wood altars are from Hackner
The public school that stood across, designed by A. DeCurtins, was erected in 1904 and used until 1961. The parish became part of the St. Henry Parish Cluster in 2004.
Presented to the St. Francis Parish on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the founding of the parish by descendants of George and Walburga Karch and the Louis and Caroline Bernard families, A.D. 2008
Erected 2008 by Descendants of George and Walburga Karch and the Louis and Caroline Bernard families.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
Location. 40° 23.576′ N, 84° 34.9′ W. Marker is near St. Henry, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of Cranberry Road (County Route 115) and Ft. Recovery Minster Road (County Route 30), on the left when traveling north on Cranberry Road. this marker is around the corner from the "Cranberry Prairie" marker. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1519 Cranberry Rd, Saint Henry OH 45883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the The Cranberry School Bell (a few steps from this marker); The Cranberry Prairie (within shouting distance of this marker); Carthagena Black Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); St. Henry Catholic Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Saint Henry, Ohio (approx. 3.4 miles away); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 3.7 miles away); North Star (approx. 5 miles away); Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Henry.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 73 times this year. Last updated on June 6, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.