Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field

 
 
Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sarah Farley, June 6, 2018
1. Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker
Inscription.  
Prior to the United States' entry into World War II, the U.S. government contracted with a number of civilian flying schools to assist in training military pilots for the Army Air Corps. In December 1940 the air activities of Texas, Corsicana field, was authorized to provide primary flight training, the second phase of a three-level process.

Construction of the facility on a 400-acre tract of land began here in February 1941 and employed more than 250 laborers in addition to a landing strip, they built hangars, barracks, offices, maintenance buildings, and a mess hall/kitchen. In March, 51 cadets arrived to complete 10 weeks of intense training. By 1943, each class contained more than 300 cadets. By 1944 8,480 cadets received flight instruction in 37 training classes. The flight school employed more than 550 civilians by January 1944 and provided a significant impact on the local economy.

As the war drew to a close, the need for the flight school became unnecessary, and it closed. Post-war use of the property began in 1946 with the opening of Navarro Junior College, which occupied the site until 1951. The city of Corsicana
Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 7, 2022
2. Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
purchased the site in 1963 for a municipal airport.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & SpaceWar, World II.
 
Location. 32° 1.636′ N, 96° 23.756′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Navarro Road and Corsicana Airport Road. Historical Marker is located at the Corsicana Municipal Airport. West side of the Terminal Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9000 Navarro Road, Corsicana TX 75109, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Angus Schoolhouse (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Welding Shop of H. C. Nicol (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Birthplace of the Petroleum Industry (approx. 5.9 miles away); First Commercial Oil Discovery in Texas (approx. 5.9 miles away); Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry (approx. 5.9 miles away); Magnolia Cannon (approx. 5.9 miles away); From Steam to Electric Rail (approx. 5.9 miles away); Capt. Charles Henry Allyn (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
 
The Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker in front of the Corsicana Airport Terminal image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 7, 2022
3. The Air Activities of Texas Corsicana Field Marker in front of the Corsicana Airport Terminal
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Sarah Farley of Corsicana, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 6, 2018, by Sarah Farley of Corsicana, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on August 7, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=118349

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 9, 2022