Biloxi in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Biloxi Public Library 1925
erected A.D. 1925
on land donated by
The King’s Daughters
J.J. Kennedy – Mayor
E.L. Dukate – Chairman
Mrs. H.W. Van Hook * Rev. John Campbell
Mrs. J.G. Cohoe * Dr. Robert Sharp
W.L. Guice * G.J. Wiltz
Carl E. Metthes – Architect
Manuel and Wetzel – Builders
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 30° 23.667′ N, 88° 53.219′ W. Marker is in Biloxi, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker can be reached from Lameuse Street south of Water Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted at waist-level, directly on the front of the subject building, just right of the front ground floor entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 Lameuse Street, Biloxi MS 39530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Biloxi City Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); High Water Mark Historic Downtown Biloxi (about 500 feet away); Chris LeDoux (about 500 feet away); Historic Downtown Biloxi Walking Tour (about 500 feet away); Brielmaier House (about 600 feet away); Biloxi City Park & Welcome Sign (about 600 feet away); The Magnolia Hotel (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Biloxi.
Regarding Biloxi Public Library 1925. National Register of Historic Places
Also see . . .
1. Historic Biloxi Walking Tour: Old Biloxi Library (c. 1924-25).
This building is the finest example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style in Biloxi. It was designed by local architect Carl E. Matthes. The main doorway exhibits twisted columns, embellished spandrels with a full entablature and cartouche. The twin flights of its entrance stairway are especially grand. It served as the city’s public library until 1978 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Old Biloxi Library: National Register of Historic Places Asset Detail.
The old Biloxi Public Library is a one-and-a-half-story on full basement, gable-front, stucco building with decorated, capped curvilinear parapets on the east and west elevations. Reached by a grand stairway with twin flights, the entrance is lavishly embellished with a round-arch transom, twisted columns, embellished spandrels, and a full establature surmounted by a robust cartouche and finials. Original tile roof replaced after sustaining serious damage from Hurricane Camille in 1969. (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.