Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Kinney's Trading Post
Henry L. Kinney, born in Pennsylvania in June 1814, came to this area about 1858 and established a fort-like trading post (across Broadway). The building, enclosed by a stockade, contained his home, store, and quarters for armed men. The bulk of Kinney's trade was with Indians and smuggling for Mexican Federalists who were in constant conflict with Centralist forces. The city of Corpus Christi grew up around the post.
In 1845 Kinney's business boomed as Gen. Zachary Taylor's army camped in the area until March 1846, when it moved to the Rio Grande. Kinney enlisted with Taylor as a quartermaster and served in the U.S. War with Mexico until Oct. 1846. Upon returning from Mexico, Kinney won election to the state legislature, representing this district until 1853. When business began to falter in the early 1850's, he organized the "Lone Star Fair" in an attempt to attract settlers. The venture failed and forced him into bankruptcy.
Kinney then attempted, unsuccessfully, to gain control of the "Mosquito Kingdom" in Nicaragua. After returning to Corpus Christi in 1858, he again won a seat in the legislature, from which
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6321.)
Location. 27° 47.594′ N, 97° 23.782′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of North Upper Broadway and Blucher Street, on the left when traveling south on North Upper Broadway. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the east side of North Upper Broadway, at the top of the staircase (which leads down the bluff to North Mesquite Street). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centennial House (within shouting distance of this marker); Corpus Christi Cathedral Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold Star Court of Honor (about 400 feet away); Corpus Christi Cathedral (about 400 feet away); Corpus Christi (approx. 0.2 miles away); Broadway Bluff Improvement (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lone Star Fair (approx. ¼ mile away); LULAC (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Regarding Site of Kinney's Trading Post. Site now occupied by telephone company building.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Henry Lawrence Kinney
Also see . . .
1. Fort Kinney History.
Built as a stockade enclosing Henry Kinney's home, store and quarters for armed men. In 1844 it was reported that the fort had several cannon and was garrisoned by at least 30 men. In 1845 General Zachary Taylor's army camped near Kinney's fort and his business thrived. Kinney enlisted in the army as a quartermaster and served under General Taylor in the Mexican War, returning to Corpus Christi in Oct 1846. (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Corpus Christi, Texas.
Henry Lawrence Kinney and his partner William P. Aubrey established a trading post on the west shore of Corpus Christi Bay, reportedly near what is now the 400 block of North Broadway. Kinney and Aubrey quickly developed a brisk illegal trade with Mexico. In 1841 Capt. Enrique Villarreal, a rancher from Matamoros who had been granted the land by the Mexican government, led a force of 300 men to reclaim his property and seize the arms stored at Kinney's stockade. Kinney, who at the time reportedly had only eight men under his command, however, managed to negotiate an agreement to purchase the land. Kinney and Aubrey's post soon became the focus of trade in the area. (Submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, Mexican-American •
More. Search the internet for Site of Kinney's Trading Post.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.