Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Mississippi Normal College, now the University of Southern Mississippi, was established in 1910. The Demonstration School opened in 1926 during the time when the college was called the State Teachers College (1924-1940). The school taught children through grade twelve and provided a laboratory-style classroom environment where student teachers were observed and evaluated. The Demonstration School ceased operation in 1963.
Erected 2009 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 19.564′ N, 89° 20.097′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on Southern Mississippi Drive east of North 31st Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Southern Drive, Hattiesburg MS 39406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roberts Schoolhouse (about 700 feet away, The Hub Where Buffett Met "Fingers" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clyde Kennard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hub City Lodge No 627 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans of All Wars Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Hattiesburg High School (approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); William Carey College (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
More about this marker. Located in front of George Hurst Building, the old Demonstration School building, on the campus of University of Southern Mississippi.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 7, 2018.