Hattiesburg in Forrest County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
This building, opened in 1921, under the leadership of W.H. Jones, was one of the first modern brick schools in Miss. for blacks. Its alumni have served the state and nation with distinction.
Erected 1988 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 20.078′ N, 89° 17.451′ W. Marker is in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, in Forrest County. Marker is on East Sixth Street west of Mobile Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hattiesburg MS 39401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roots of Rock and Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Taking our Rightful Place in History / We Honor These 15 Brave Men Who Filed The Voting Rights Case (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rev. W.D. Ridgeway (about 400 feet away); A Bench By The RoadJ.B. Woods Park (about 400 feet away); East 6th Street USO Club (about 600 feet away); St. Paul Methodist Church (approx. Ό mile away); Pittman Park (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hattiesburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 171 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 8, 2018.