Log church built, 1700
2 stone churches, 1743, 1860
2 other churches burned
Present, 6th on same spot
Erected 1938 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 47.425′ N, 74° 14.64′ W. Marker is in Accord, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on U.S. 209 0.2 miles east of Mettacahonts Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5142 US Hwy 209, Accord NY 12404, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tom Quick Farm (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Training Field (approx. 0.9 miles away); Alton Brooks Parker (approx. one mile away); Westbrook House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Indian Raid (approx. 2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); Oklahoma City Bombing MemorialHet Killities Landt (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Accord.
Regarding Rochester Church. Excerpt from Town of Rochester, Ulster County, New York, Historic Resources Reconnaissance Survey, 1993, prepared for Town of Rochester Historic Preservation Commission by Kyserike Restorations, Inc., Stone Ridge, NY, with text by Harry Hansen.
Rochester community were all build on the location of the successor: the Rochester Reformed Church on Route 209 in Accord. They began with a log church which was replaced with a stone building erected ca. 1783 and which stood until 1818 when it too was replaced."
"The church was a major factor in the social organization of the early community and the Dutch Reformed Church was the only organized religion available during the early development of the area. Early church records indicate an active population in Rochester and a strong church organization. Typically, a church was first organized as a congregation, the edifice would then follow after funds and/or a minister had been secured. The earliest records pertaining to Rochester are a 1741 pledge list for a Domine (minister), a 1743 contribution for Domine Manicus (of the Kingston church) from the Rochester Church, and a 1767 subscription list for a Rochester parsonage. This last entry closely follows the 1766 appointment of Dirick Romeyn as pastor to the Rochester, Marbletown and Wawarsing churches. The series of Dutch Reformed Churches to serve the
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.