Royal Borough of Greenwich in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
Royal Regiment of Artillery
On 26 May 1716 the first two permanent companies of
Royal Artillery were formed by Royal Warrant in the Reign of George the 1st.
The two companies numbered 100 men each.
The warrant was signed on this site then known as Tower Place.
The erection of the current building was begun in 1719.
The Royal Military Academy was located here from
1741 to 1806
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military.
Location. 51° 29.641′ N, 0° 4.131′ E. Marker is in Royal Borough of Greenwich, England, in Greater London County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Plumstead Road and Woolwich New Road, on the right when traveling west. Located at No. 1 Street & Artillery Square in the Royal Woolwich Arsenal. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Royal Borough of Greenwich, England SE18 6AE, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Royal Military Academy (here, next to this marker); Wellington HQ / Royal Laboratory (within shouting distance of this marker); Firepower (about The Royal Arsenal (about 90 meters away); The Paper Cartridge Factory (about 120 meters away); Gun 2/86 (about 120 meters away); Gun 2/75 (about 120 meters away); Gun 2/46 (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Also see . . .
1. Royal Arsenal History. (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Royal Arsenal on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.