Greenwich in Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Muzzle stamped 100, on the chase is a coronet with the letter "M" for the Duke of Marlborough.
On the reinforce it states "GR" under a crown, referring to the Royal George ship on which it was once mounted and from whose hull it was raised by means of a diving bell at Spithead on the Solent in 1835.
On the base ring "A Schalch Fecit 1748" (made by Schalch 1748) and the weight "9-0-3 (Tons - Hundredweights - Quarters)".
Loaned and installed by Berkeley Homes from the Collection of the Royal Artillery Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Military.
Location. 51° 29.675′ N, 0° 4.239′ E. Marker is in Greenwich, England, in Greater London. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Plumstead Road and Woolwich New Road, on the right when traveling west. Located in James Clavell Square in the Royal Woolwich Arsenal. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenwich, England SE18 6AE, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gun 2/75 (here, next to this marker); Gun 2/86 (a few steps from this marker); Gun 28/10 James Clavell Square (a few steps from this marker); Gun 2/90 (a few steps from this marker); Gun 2/91 (a few steps from this marker); East & West Riverside Guardrooms (within shouting distance of this marker); The Royal Arsenal (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwich.
Also see . . .
1. Royal Arsenal History. (Submitted on June 10, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Royal Arsenal on Wikipedia. (Submitted on June 10, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.